This is another recipe that reminds me of Christmas as a kid: if there wasn’t a tray of Jam Drops on the dessert table…was it even really the holidays?
Think of these miniature sweets as a toned down sugar cookie with another dollop of jammy goodness in the middle to complete it. They are so great with a cup of Earl Grey tea or as light coffee treat in the afternoon.
Note: this recipe works off of Donna Hay’s Jam Thumbprint recipe.
- 3/4 cup of unsalted butter, unsoftened
- 1 cup of white
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Jams of your choice (I used apricot and strawberry)
1. Set your oven temperature to 350°F . Using a hand-mixer, cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until it turns fluffy, and light in colour. Once combined, add the egg and combine again.
2. Add the baking powder, salt, and flour (1 cup at a time) and blend together to form a dough. On a baking tray lined with parchment paper, roll out small balls of dough and spread out evenly. (Wetting your hands with some water will help the dough from sticking).
3. Using the end of a wooden spoon, press a small indentation into the ball — again dampening the spoon so it does not stick to the dough, Fill the indent with a small spoonful of jam. Bake for 18 minutes and pull when they start to turn a light golden colour.
4. Not necessary, but if the jam cooked a little too far, add another small top-up of jam while the cookies are still hot. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.
Enjoy, and peace and good eats!!